Saturday, July 3, 2010

Rocket Project

Hello everyone, it's been a while.
I wanted to show some pictures of the rocket project I am working on.
First, lemme explain how it works.

This is an Oxyhydrogen (H2 and O2) powered rocket.

So, schematic time:
By running DC current
through water (with an electrolyte, such at table salt or baking soda) the water will separate into Hydrogen and Oxygen in a 2 to 1 ratio. (see Electrolysis of water)
The H2 and O2 gas generated is then piped to the inside of the rocket.
The incoming gas replaces the water in the rocket until it is about 60-70% full of fuel.
The rocket is then ignited by putting two electrodes into the gas mixture and making a spark.
The gases explode, causing the water to be spewed out violently. This is how we obtain thrust for the rocket.

So, my implementation (so far - still a work in progress)

The Electrolysis Rig
Parts:
  • Power: I bought a bridge rectifier from Radioshack that converts 120VAC to 170VDC.
  • Rig: I bought a bucket from Lowes (and a lid - yes, they sell it separately), with some tubing.
  • Electrodes: The key element is a Gouging Rod I obtained - carbon is the ideal electrode because it doesn't corrode. You can also use Stainless steel rods (or screws), but I discourage this because there is a potential for releasing Chromium (which is poisonous).
  • Electrolyte: I used Table Salt, but I found that Baking Soda worked better. Baking soda is cleaner and conducts better.
Preparation:
I cut my carbon rod in half, and then soldered wires to each half (be sure to use wire colors to denote one as positive and one as negative).
I drilled two holes on opposite sides of the bucket for the electrodes. I then drilled a hole in the lid for the tubing.
I epoxied the carbon rods in place on either side, and then epoxied the tube in place on the lid. I made sure that the end of the tube (that connects to the lid) was as close to the Lid as possible
(this is important).
it is important to run electrolysis in the bucket to erode the copper on the carbon rods before you use it for the first time - on the positive lead, oxygen is produced, causing the copper to oxidize, or rust, decreasing the amount of Oxygen produced (i.e. not good).

Use:
Fill the entire bucket with distilled water. Fill the tube with water. Connect the power supply to the electrodes. Plug in the power supply. Slowly add the electrolyte (baking soda) to allow conductivity - be careful not to add too much, as this will cause the circuit to arc.

The Rocket
Preparation:
I bought some 2L orange soda from Publix. I used some CD Jewel-boxes to make some fins for the rocket. The cap of the soda, I drilled a hole big enough for the tube, but just big enough for a snug fit - this needs to be able to pass water over the outside of the tube.
I also bought a utility lighter, not for lighting anything, per say, but for the electronic igniter. I removed the igniter and then soldered it to some cat5 cable for an extension.

Use:
fill the rocket entirely with water, insert the tube, start the electrolysis (this will push fuel through the tube, and then into the rocket). When the bottle is filled mostly with gas, remove the tube and insert the cat5 cable for ignition (you may want to put some tape over the hole temporarily).

move back and click the ignition.


Just so you know, I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I have done preliminary tests, and the ignition works. My "rocket" went 2 feet off the ground (I think I had too much water in it, plus the bottle didn't really hold up the pressure).

So, pictures:
This first picture is just a good view of the whole thing.














This one is of the top of the lid, where I epoxied the tube to.














this one is of where the electrodes are placed in the side of the bucket and a wire is soldered on.














Here is my rocket, with a hole in the cap and fin's on.














And finally, this video is of a preliminary test where I am lighting some captured Hydrogen and Oxygen.

1 comment:

  1. You amaze me with your projects babe! I could have never have thought up something so elaborate! :) Can't wait to see the finished product, whenever you get there!

    ReplyDelete