Friday, August 13, 2010

Rocket Project Update

Ok, I have been working on this for a long time, and I'm still not done, but I wanted to make an update to show where I am at.

Change #1, Ignition System

I am using a Flyback Transformer as the ignition system. I had to rip apart a CRT monitor, and make a custom "driver" circuit to power the thing. It provides a nice 1 inch high voltage arc, much more capable at igniting my fuels than the ignition from a Utility Lighter I was using.

Here are some pictures to show you the layout.

IMG_0306

The Black thing at the bottom is the transformer, the circuit board is the driver I had to make, and the grey box at the top is a 250W ATX computer power supply, which I had to rig to make it power on.

Here is a picture of the arc it makes:

IMG_0336

Also as an improvement, the driver requires a transistor that gets hot very quickly as you use it. I decided to put it in a tub of mineral oil for cooling. It has shown that it lasts much longer than the heat sink I was using before. Here is a picture.IMG_0329

Last of all, here is a video of the arc.

Change #2, Electrolysis Setup

I have changed my electrolysis machine to make more accurate proportions of hydrogen and oxygen.

First off, let me explain the situation which prompted me to make the change. I had been running my Electrolysis Bucket for a while now doing several test runs. Well, I got to the point to where I was finally ready to do a full prototype rocket. I made enough gases to fill it up 75% of the way (which is what I want), and got it prepped to launch. Then nothing happened. It was full of only hydrogen. I devised a plan to make more accurate collection of the gasses.

Here is a diagram:

Electrolysis

With this design I collect the gases separately, then use a device I made to precisely fill the rockets.

So, Without further adieu, Pictures:

here is a picture of my bucket with the bottles in them.

IMG_0404

A close up of the electrode (my father in law made me these out of stainless steel). I was using graphite, but I found that the oxygen side (positive side) disintegrates too easily.

IMG_0405

picture of the gasses being collected.

IMG_0382

Ok, so I noticed something interesting. I tried a test fire, and I noticed that the explosion was a little lack-luster. I figured that the reason why was because electrolysis generates heat, and that the gases might be filled with water vapor. Later I realized that it was because I got my hydrogen and oxygen mixed up (because I forgot to label them) – so my proportions were waaay off (my mistake).

Solution: label the bottles, and refrigerate them. Refrigeration causes water to condense, purifying the gases.

Before refrigeration:

IMG_0409 IMG_0410

After Refrigeration: as you can see, the water vapor has condensed onto the sides of the bottle.

IMG_0415 IMG_0416

So, how do we get the gases into the rocket?

This little device:

IMG_0433

I made it out of two bottle caps and some tubing. You will notice that the ends are offset in length from each other – this is done in a specific way to cause gas to go through one tube, and water to run through the other.

Directions: fill a bottle (the rocket) completely with water, connect it to the green end. Then take the bottle with the gas and connect it to the red side. The last step is to flip the rocket up in the air, above the other bottle, and the fuel will automatically start transferring.

I don’t have a video of this yet, but I am quite proud of it.

Change #3, The Launch pad

So, I noticed that I needed a new launching method. I needed to ensure that my rockets will aim straight before it has a chance to start spinning (from the angled fins). So, here is my original launch pad:

IMG_0391

You will notice that there is no provision if the rocket doesn’t initially fire straight.

So, what I walked around Lowes looking for launch pad ideas. I looked at PVC, but it was waaaay to expensive, so I came up with a novel idea:

IMG_0452

I bought two 96 cent pieces of wood, cut them in half, and then taped them to a bottle filled with water. I made it so that it tapers out at the top, so that it has less resistance to the rocket. Pretty good solution for about $2.00

Ok, so what would a rocket project be without failures?

Who Turned Out the Lights?

IMG_0296 I will let you draw a your own conclusions as to what is going on here.

Yes, I am taking apart a CFL light. It provides a high voltage charge (which is what “energizes” the light).

So, I made a rig to test it:

IMG_0303

So, results: as soon as I went to arc it, it fried :(

A Bad Case of Gas

So, after just making a rocket with my electrolysis bucket, I got it ready to fire.

The rocket filling with hydrogen (and supposedly oxygen).

IMG_0229

So, without further adieu, The video.

You probably cannot tell immediately, but I am using the flyback to make a really nice arc in there, but the rocket did not fly. After some investigation, I found that the rocket was full of only hydrogen. It did not go off at all.

First Successful Hydrogen Rocket

So, I finally got it all together on the electrolysis side, and I got a rocket ready.

here is a picture of the rocket:

IMG_0390

this thing was beautiful!

so I eagerly set it on the pad, ready for launch:

The rocket after launch:

IMG_0399

And one more, Just for kicks

this is an Alcohol rocket I made to test out a new nozzle I designed. I think what happened is that the hole of the nozzle was closed off enough to make the bottle expand when it fired. Because the bottle expanded, it got caught in the launch pad. My ideas still need improving.

And that’s it folks.

1 comment:

  1. Babe, it has been both frustrating and exciting to watch you as you have worked on this project! I am so proud of your efforts and persistence in figuring things out with each snag...I can't wait to see the finished product when you are all done! Love you!

    ReplyDelete