Thursday, January 14, 2010

day 2, not dead yet

So, I'm sitting here in my hybrid Living Room/Kitchen/Bedroom/Office trying to think of things to post this time.

Ok, quick critique on The Prodigy's newest album "Invaders Must Die." I've listened to track 1, a little of track 2, and skipped around in track 5. Frankly, I must say that the sounds and instruments sound strangely familiar to their Experience CD. Maybe they are thinking that if they rehash some of their stuff from 1992 that no one will notice.

So Story of the day: I can't think of anything from today that is worthy of blabbing about. Since it is also the beginning of my blog, then I will write a little bit about myself.

Q: Why do I call myself TheMann?

A: Because I am he.

It actually started a long time ago, probably when I was about 14. At this stage in my life I was into a few computer games. They were the type of games that when you made a high score they would ask your name. I put "The Man." It seemed simple and effective enough, so it stuck. Fast Forwarding to college time (yes, nothing as far as this name happens until then) I moved into the dorms. Many people had great computer names, like Cossix, Cain, Daedalus, Muffy. I got a copy of Unreal Tournament (the original UT) and played many of these people on the network. I tried to come up with a name, but always came up with something lame. One day I was walking through the dorm halls and someone was setting up their computer (or atleast trying to), so I asked if they needed help, and they accepted. After I finished they said "you are the man!" this actually occurred a few times: I would help someone and they would respond in thanks by saying "You are the man!" Now this standard sign of appreciation got me to think. I began to remember putting my name as "The Man" on those computer games, but two common English words by themselves was not elite enough for me, so I decided to add another consonant.
Soon people in UT found themselves crushed by "The Mann" (or at least I like to think that's how things were, I actually sucked at the game). I found new pride in my name as The Mann, however the evolution was not complete.
I decided to setup a web server (FTP and HTTP) so that I can host a web site on the local dorm network (Many people were doing this actually). This was the best way to get warez, mp3's, movies... pretty much anything your heart could digitally desire. Just a quick description of important facts for this: in order for others to access services on your computer, they will simply call it by your computers name (the one specified by windows) (i.e. ftp://carlscomputer/). But there was a problem... My computer's name was "The Mann", and for anyone familiar with networking knows that I committed a network sin by placing a space in the name. Have you ever seen a webpage called http://there is a space in my domain.com/ ? no, because it's illegal. the computer won't let you do it. Windows networking names will, but don't come begging for mercy to it when you can't access special services. Anyways... that being said, this brings my name to the fully polished, fully network qualified, and "totally me" name, "TheMann"
Bask in it's glory. The product of a genius.

So there you have it, the evolution of the name TheMann.

Well, I'm off to watch a movie, while letting thoughts of looming homework ride in the back of my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha, love it!! yeah I would love an explanation of p00p too!

    ReplyDelete