Thursday, January 28, 2010

An Ode to My Wife

I just looked up the definition of ode, and found out that it's supposed to be a poem. I don't write poems, therefore this ode will be poem-less (or perhaps oderless -- yes, I know it's spelled odorless).

I just wanted to publicly say how much I appreciate my wife. Everyday she amazes me in her stoutness of character. If she were a pioneer, she would make it for sure.

Words do not describe well enough how I feel for my wife. Sadly the word love has so many uses. I love cheese. I love to tango. I love my brother. All these are separate derivatives of the word, but the only one that doesn't seem like the word is suitable enough is: I love my wife. Sure you see it on a bumper sticker occasionally, and you casually say I love you to your spouse every time you are ending a phone conversation, but what about the times when you really want to express how you feel?

I guess the only good way to emphasize the phrase "I love you" is to couple it with answering "why?"

I would like to answer these, because 1) I know my wife will read this eventually (hopefully evoking a very feminine "awwwww"), and 2) I want the world to know how much she means to me too.

I find that it is easier to answer the question of why by using words as if I were speaking to her. So, for those of you who are not my wife, just read for the fun of it (I'll even give you permission to wish I was writing to you).

I love you because you are my best friend. You have cried with me in my darkest hours, and have laughed with me in the happiest. You have been there for me since the time that I met you (even when we were "just friends") even when any other friendship would probably not endure.

I love you because you are dependable (sounds like a quality on a resume). By dependable I mean that I can trust you with anything. I can depend on your advice, on your help, on your faith in me. I love that I have someone who almost always knows what to do in every situation.

I love you because you are patient. I know you are probably thinking "yeah right, I loose it with Natalie almost everyday," but you really do... so much more than me. I can think of a ton of examples, and then it would be a test of your patience just to hear them all. Mostly, you are patient with me. When I screw up, you forgive me. When I decide that my way is right, you are patient with me to wait until I come back to you and tell you that your way is better (by the way -- guys, if you haven't already figured it out, for some reason I cannot explain women have this far surpassing wisdom that is uncomprehensible by men, and only when a man figures this out will he truly be wise). I find that your advice is so important to me. It has always led me in the right direction.

I laugh at our silly fights, because they show that no matter how bad it gets we will always be there for each other. I remember when you decided to make chocolate milk. You had poured in so much at the bottom that it made a swirly effect on the sides of the glass. I made gesture that I wanted to see your glass and you recoiled defensively (never take chocolate milk away from a woman with cravings). The most rediculous argument ensued. We argued about chocolate milk and about why I should be able to see the chocolate milk that you made because it looked cool and yadda yadda yadda. I remember that after this fight, we just laughed at each other for having the stupidest argument ever. This is why I love you, because you don't let the inane things ruffle your feathers.

I love you because you are beautiful. Rooms light up when you walk in (or maybe there is a power surge in the electrical circuits -- then maybe you're just electrifying). The way you move is full of grace and beauty. Your hair is soft. Your legs are shapely and the skin so velvety. Your face melts my heart. Your face is where I find you most beautiful. I could look into your eyes forever and not get tired (like a staring match). I love to put my hand on the side of your face to feel you lean in and stroke my palm with your cheek. I think the clothes you wear make you look very attractive (however I will already admit (not to discredit this statement) that I am a little biased).

I love you because you are an excellent mother. I see the way Natalie adores you and goes to you. Sometimes I am jealous (other times I'm not -- like when she's throwing a tantrum). I see how much she loves you, even though she cannot say it. I see so much of your caring nature in her. I cannot think of a better woman to help raise my children than you. I am amazed at your capacity to love others in the way you do.

I will take that last sentence and start with it rephrased: I loved your capacity to love others. I think this is your most defining characteristic. To see the love you have for your mother and father, I feel sometimes as if I am in the presence of an angel. You have always shown the greatest love and consideration for others. I am so glad that I married you because I get to be a primary benefactor. Your willingness to serve your mom and dad like you have in the past years (2 years that I've witnessed, and all your life as far as I know) is remarkable. It speaks volumes about you. I feel that I owe your parents a great thank you for producing such a wonderful daughter.

I know I can go on forever telling you reason after reason why I love you, but I take comfort in the fact that you already know. I take comfort because you love me too (which is the most priceless thing I have ever found on this earth). I love you Melanie. I just wanted you (and everybody else) to know that.

Love,
Your Mann (and for those who are not my wife, you can omit this salutation)

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet, Barry! I'm sure Melanie will love reading this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetheart, thank you so much for your beautiful expressions! You made me cry, and you made me laugh, thinking about that silly chocolate milk fight! :P all I can say in my defense is: I was pregnant!! I cannot take responsibility for my actions!
    It was wonderful to see myself through your eyes! And yes, everything you say is true....I will ALWAYS be there beside you, come what may!
    Yours Forever and a day,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete