Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First Blog

is it too geek of me to want to post "Hello World"

aaah, too much time spent on the computer.

ok, seriously though, I wanted everyone to know that I was forced against my will to start this blog (actually I'm 100% kidding, but it just sounds funny that way).

in reality, I'm kind of excited that I get to post my random thoughts here rather than annoy people with them on facebook. I've got a lot of great rants and stories to boot... lemme see if I can think of one.

So, I just finished reading this book for my lit class. Which, by the way, I don't see how an english teacher aims to keep up student moral when he assigns 8 novels (yes, I said novel) to be read before the end of the semester; the first of which (Maggie: a girl on the streets) is to be read between Monday (first day of classes) and Wednesday. So I talked to a girl in the hall before class on Wednesday (today) about the book. She hadn't read much and asked me how it was. I explained to her that if you are one who becomes just tickled by the way sentences are structured and paragraphs are formed then this book is great, but if you are like everyone else (like a normal human being with a pulse) then the book typically sucks. Maggie, a girl abandoned by her family and society turned prostitute, dies in the end... but is it ever explained how or why, no. What the crap is that all about? The guy spent pages describing the New York Browery streets (like just description... not actual plot, just description), but you would think that with all these flowery expultions that somewhere he might do the audience courtesy to know how the main character dies. but no.
I waited for this since reading the book yesterday: the teacher enters the class, takes roll, and then asks the question I hoped he would ask: "How was it?" to which I quickly responded "It sucked!" My teacher being a cool guy replied "by that I assume you mean that you didn't like it. why didn't you like it?" so I told him about the painfully long descriptions and the horribly unentertaining plot (I somehow remember my wife almost falling asleep as she read it to me). he proceeds by simply going back over the book again. He even went into descriptions of New York's Irish culture at that time, and many other things did he do to try and cram in our heads why this book is a quintessential piece of American literature.
having looked around the room I noticed that many (if not all) of my classmates looked as though they felt just like me, a feeling similar to that of how one feels after eating a chicken sandwich. we were tired. many of us were staring at the floor as if to scream loudly "I don't care!" or possibly "I just wanna go home!"
luckily temporary salvation came when he said "we will continue this next week."

well, anyways, that's my story for the day.
now I'm off to history (yippee)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for starting this delightful blog!! And yes, your story made me laugh. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, Son! Keep up the writing!

    ReplyDelete