Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Emperors Club

So Mel and I watched The Emperors Club tonight ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283530/ ) a movie about a School teacher trying to teach a deviant kid. One of the subjects of the movie is how Schools aren't supposed to teach morals, but just teach facts. I'm sitting here thinking about it, and I am asking myself why.
So I thought about what could have possibly caused rise to schools becoming less and less about character and more about just plain old facts. In the movie, the teacher goes to the boys father (a US Senator) to talk to him about his sons poor performance. The teacher makes a remark about how his classroom is to shape young minds, but that the senators son is refusing to be shaped, to which the senator responds that the teacher is not supposed to shape his son, "leave the shaping to me" he says.
So shaping is to be done by parents, to this I agree wholeheartedly. It is the primary role of the parents to teach morality, honesty, integrity (and a bunch more -itys). But I wonder if there is a rising problem: what about parents who don't care. These students may not receive the life-education that's needed because their parents are either not there (physically or mentally), or the parents simply don't care.
So, from what I observe, it seems as though there is less lessons on character in schools (because schools say it's the parents job) and more and more parents not doing their job of schooling their kids on moral issues. So rhetorically speaking: who teaches these kids how to be good people? I don't have the answer, I'm a nobody, but I have opinions and ideas.
I understand that there are some subjects that cannot be discussed in school because of the wide interpretations of whats right and wrong. Hey, there's a funny though, right and wrong are words that have such vast meaning. Is this the right religion? Is it right for me to become a Fireman? Is it right to say that today is Sunday? Should I choose the Busch brand of baked beans, or the store brand? I think you get the point that Right and Wrong have very sliding scales of ambiguity depending on the context in question. Perhaps schools form their curriculum solely on those truths that have little to no ambiguity: is "2+2 = 4" a truth bearing statement?
With this in mind, I do begin to wonder though, if there are not universal moral truths that can still be taught while staying in the realm of little ambiguity. Perhaps the subjects of Honesty, Integrity, Truthfulness can still be taught, not just tested. I know that there is some teaching of these principles, for example honesty is used during tests, one is punished for cheating (read my post about typing class), but what I am wondering is if more can be done.
The books I am reading for English right now have messages, but really little moral compass as to right or wrong (quite possibly because the authors were mostly questioning what that is). What about other subjects: Math (well in that you have to be exact, but I still don't see much in moral lessons), Science (still don't see it), Social Studies (now this might have something, but most teachers try to steer clear of interpreting the past, they just try to present it accurately), Gym (I hated Gym, but it has potential to teach good sportsmanship).
I think overall the school system is a little weaker in moral standards that what it can be (look at Sex ED, talk about a joke for morals). What if school systems tried to incorporate books that actually have a universally taught good moral (like a person who is honest and hardworking gets ahead in business - oh wait, who am I kidding, crap like that is boring). What about intense studies of history's examples of how good moral decisions brought good outcome.
Maybe I am asking the very thing that parents argued against in the first place, who knows. I don't have an answer, I'm just thinking that shrugging behind the fact that you have to make absolutely everyone happy is a little counterproductive.

I do have a question though: Has anyone made a deep study of Love and it's effect on an individual and the people around this individual. I'll bet you that there would be boat loads of good lessons there (aside from the religious ones).

Anyways, I would like to hear some feedback (mom, I know you've got some).

2 comments:

  1. You're right I do have some feedback! This is one to really think about though - there is a lot to respond to. I will say this tonight though, there are a lot of moral lessons taught at school besides just honesty in the computer lab. And any good teacher models love for each student. Not every student responds to it, but many do and know that their teacher cares about them. There's the little adage about "the student doesn't care about how much you know until he knows how much you care". The biggest mistake we are making right now in education is assuming that a standardized test will tell how well-educated a student is. Knowing a bunch of facts does not make someone well-educated and it certainly doesn't inspire one to greatness (and not necessarily to integrity). A well-educated student is one who learns to recognize the dilemma in every area - (and believe it or not, even math is ambiguous) - and can learn to deconstruct the social, emotional, political, spiritual consequences of every word and every subject discussed at school. Maybe I should write a paper! Oh - I've already done that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetheart,
    Your mind fascinates me! The things that you take away from the most everyday activities just amazes me! I love to see your mind work!

    ReplyDelete